13 Dec Primitive Fear To Modern Anxiety: Understanding The Four Modern Fear Responses [TJJS:EP372]
four modern fear responses
Tell me if this sounds familiar: You get into a confrontation or altercation with an overbearing family member, colleague, or whoever. You are totally caught off guard and after the incident your mind is spinning with all the things you should have said. Your mind doesn’t stop. You continue to ruminate and replay the incident, feeding into a frustrating anxiety spin out.
Or how about this: You have an opportunity to start your own business, get back into the dating scene, or finish an important project but you can’t seem to get past your procrastination. You know what you need to do, you even know how to do it, but you seem to just stay paralyzed.
What do these situations have in common? Both are fueled by a primitive fear response that is showing up as anxiety and procrastination. As we have evolved as humans our various fear responses (fight, flight, freeze, fawn), have morphed into modern day iterations. Namely: anxiety, depression, procrastination, and people-pleasing. If you find yourself struggling with any of these behaviors/conditions, it’s likely a root fear is the culprit.
In this episode, I look at our four primitive fear responses and their modern iterations, how to spot the way they show up in your life, and what you can do about them. Time to meet that fear with courage and power. You’re welcome.
This pod explores:
- The two primary fears we are all born with (hint: it’s not the fear of what others think)
- Understanding the connection between our responses to extreme threat and how that changes for everyday occurrences (like when your in-laws don’t like you or you’re afraid you can’t pay rent)
- How your subconscious fear response is influencing your anxiety, overwhelm, and spinning thoughts
- My favorite two tools to work with the modern fear responses of anxiety, depression, procrastination, and people-pleasing
NEW *FREE* WORKSHOP
clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
THE JOY JUNKIE AFTER HOURS CLUB!
clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to join the group! #yourewelcome
COMPLETELY FREE FACEBOOK GROUP. TONS OF SUPPORT YOU CRAVE. JOIN THE CLUB.
- Grab your seat at my workshop!! FOR FREE!!
- Join the After Hours Club: Join the rest of the pod-iance in our secret pod peep group for weekly discussions, extra trainings, and tons of freebies.
- POD #211: The Difference Between Fear + Your Inner Critic (And What to Do About Them)
- POD #256: Ways to Kick Procrastination in the Ass
- POD #317: 10 All-Natural (For Real) Anxiety Hacks
- POD #319: Letting Go of What Others Think
- POD #338: The *Real* Reasons You’re Mad or Sad, Part 1
- POD #339: The *Real* Reasons You’re Mad or Sad, Part 2
- POD #355: Coping with Loneliness + Lack of Motivation During Quarantine
- POD #356: Understanding Emotional Intelligence
- The Social Dilemma – Netflix Documentary
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go to https://tinyurl.com/JJReview
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!