06 Sep Mailbag 8.0: When People Lie, Boundaries for Kids, + Toxic Family Members [TJJS:EP360]
Liars, Boundaries, and Toxic Family Members
It’s time for another Mailbag edition of the podcast! On these episodes, I take three listener submissions and give them tangible action steps on dealing with their current pressing issues and obstacles.
One listener wrote in expressing frustration for catching her bestie in lie after lie and not knowing #WTF to do with that? I mean… just dump the friendship? But what if she apologizes profusely and expresses how important the friendship is to her? But, a lie’s a lie, right? Maybe not.
Another listener asked about navigating a sticky family situation where all the grandparents in her son’s life are pretty much not interested in participating in his world. She has done everything in her power and now doesn’t know how to best take care of her son (and herself) and the litany of emotions that comes up around this topic. You may be a bit surprised about what my answer is for this fam. Hint: It involves giving her son a shit-ton more power.
Our final submission for this episode comes from a gal dealing with a verbally abusive sister who is also extremely nasty to their mother. Although this listener has boundaried her ass off with her sister, it pains her to watch her mom continue to be bullied. Tune in and hear one of my favorite tools to deal with the most insidious of family members.
Even if you aren’t in the exact situation as any of these Pod People, it’s highly likely you’ve had to process something similar. Have a listen and snag some serious tools for boundaries, sticking up for yourself, and dealing with not-so-honest people.
This pod explores:
- The few times when it is NOT worth having a deep, boundary conversations with family
- How to recognize when someone’s lie is actually not about you
- How to teach kids to establish their own boundaries with confidence (even with other adults)
- My favorite tool when your fam is legit #batshit cray
NEW *FREE* WORKSHOP
clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
THE JOY JUNKIE AFTER HOURS CLUB!
clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to join the group! #yourewelcome
COMPLETELY FREE FACEBOOK GROUP. TONS OF SUPPORT YOU CRAVE. JOIN THE CLUB.
- Grab your seat at my workshop!! FOR FREE!!
- Join the After Hours Club: Join the rest of the pod-iance in our secret pod peep group for weekly discussions, extra trainings, and tons of freebies
- Anti-Racism Education Series – I am planning on creating a special series with anti-racism activists and leaders to better educate our community on steps we can take in order to be better and do better. Let me know where you have been feeling stuck, what knowledge you are hungry for, and what topics you are interested in.
- POD #171 Is It Ever Okay to NOT Be Honest?
- POD #191 What To Do When Friends + Family Do Not Like Your Choices
- POD #200 What No One Ever Taught You About Boundaries
- POD #209 How to Teach Personal Development to Kids
- POD #242 How to Get Rid of the Takers In Your Life
- POD #250 How to Have Tough Convos 101
- POD #267 Why ‘Hope’ is a Four-Letter Word
- POD #337 5 Ways to Figure Out Your Boundaries
- POD #338 The *Real* Reasons You’re Mad + Sad, Part 1
- POD #339 The *Real* Reasons You’re Mad + Sad, Part 2
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go to https://tinyurl.com/JJReview
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!