09 Apr How to Say What You Really Mean, Part 2 [TJJS:EP198]
say what you mean
say what you mean
If you’re like most people, you learned how to address conflict through a process of trial and error. Maybe it was just how your parents did things… just sweeping things under the rug or telling little white lies to make sure everyone else was happy.
And, then you get into your adult life and wonder why you are always pulled to tell lies about why you can’t make it to that one work event instead of simply saying that you have plans. Or maybe now there is a shit-ton of conflict in your relationship, but you keep telling everyone else about it… just not your spouse.
Listen, Love. If this is your sitch you are soooo not alone. It’s likely that you simply were never taught HOW to actually speak up for yourself and say what you really mean. In last week’s episode, I covered off 6 major communication habits we tend to fall into instead of simply saying what we really mean. In this week’s edition, I cover off what you can actually DO about those patterns so that you can truly stand up for yourself. With grace and kindness, of course.
This pod explores:
- The questions you MUST ask yourself when you feel pulled to write something off or “sweep it under the rug”
- How to use jokes and being passive aggressive as a gate-way to actually say what you mean (this one is easy!)
- The best way to enter into a challenging convo so that the other person is waaaaay more likely to listen
- My favorite way to decline invites without being a big ‘ol liar (You can do this, I promise!)
4 REASONS YOU DON’T SPEAK UP, CARE WAY TOO MUCH WHAT OTHERS THINK, + WHAT TO DO ABOUT IT
- How to stop taking responsibility for everyone else’s
happinessshit (as in, trying to make mom/boss/hubs happy… at all times. #exhausting)
- How to actually set and enforce boundaries in your life without being riddled by guilt (And you’ll learn what-the-hell a boundary even is.)
- How to speak up for yourself without being a total dick (It’s easier than you think!)
- How to change your relationship to fear so you aren’t always so god-damned afraid of going after things you want (Or speaking up to you-know-who.)
You in? Of course you are! Simply swing by this page or click the image above to secure your seat!
- Pod #197 – Shit You Say Instead of Saying What You Really Mean, Part 1
- Pod #129 – How to Have Tough Conversations Like a Badass
- Tranquilizer Dart Scene from the 2003 movie Old School starring Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn
- Wannabe by The Spice Girls, released in 1996
How to Leave iTunes Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on iTunes” button below or go to http://tinyurl.com/JJReview
- Click on blue button that reads “view in iTunes” which will open the podcast into your personal iTunes account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!