19 Mar Compliments + Criticisms: Why They Both Don’t Matter [TJJS:EP195]
compliments and criticisms
compliments and criticisms
If you’re like most people, chances are you have bought into the idea that if other people like and approve of you, you must be worthy. And conversely, if people don’t like or approve of you, you must be a total failure. If you’ve been rejected by a lover (or a few), it can be easy to come to the conclusion that you are unloveable. If you’ve been passed over for a promotion a time or two, it’s easy to surmise that you are incompetent and simply not “smart enough”.
Whether consciously or otherwise, we tend to create conclusions about our self-worth based off of how other people respond to us. In essence, we think, If I receive a bunch of compliments, that must be proof that I’m worthy and if I receive criticisms that must be proof that I’m a complete loser. And then we live into this belief through our own self talk, behaviors, and what we choose to tolerate. And, trust… no one does this on purpose. No one says, “Let me put my entire self-worth in everyone else’s hands.” Of course not.
This episode explores our natural human tendency to attach ourselves to what others think of us, in turn, radically affecting our self-esteem and self-worth. Have a listen and learn three, easy tools you can use to begin finding your power internally instead of from external approval.
This pod explores:
- My favorite metaphor to use to evaluate if you are unnecessarily taking on someone else’s opinion as your truth (Like, your ex thinks you’re lazy, so you’ve decided that must be true)
- How no amount of self-help with make criticism feel good and how to address it without drowning yourself in a bottle of wine
- My personal story of dealing with R O U G H criticism and how I chose to process it
- How to decipher what is your responsibility and what isn’t (hint: NOT your job to make everyone like you)
WANNA DO BREAKFAST?
COME HEAR ME SPEAK AT THE LATEST LEADERSHIP IN HEELS EVENT!
This event will be held on Thursday, March 30th, 2017 from 7-9am and includes breakfast! Hello! There will be panel discussions, raffle prizes, and #obvi a keynote presentation! I would love to meet you if you are able to make it! Click the image to the above or go right ovah HERE to grab your ticket! And be sure to introduce yourself!
How to Leave iTunes Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on iTunes” button below or go to https://tinyurl.com/JJReview
- Click on blue button that reads “view in iTunes” which will open the podcast into your personal iTunes account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!