20 Oct 7 Communication Habits You Need to Break + What to Do Instead – Part 1 [TJJS:EP321]
communication habits to break
I get it. You were told to never hurt anyone’s feelings. You were told to “not rock the boat”. You were told to “not let people down”. And you took that to heart. When you had a problem with something your bestie said, you swept it under the rug. Don’t open up that can of worms. When you had probs in the bedroom, you told your bestie and your therapist, but you could neeeever tell your spouse! I mean… that would destroy him/her.
And, you continue this pattern throughout your life. When you’re pissed at your boss, you find co-workers to collude with, but never bring up the issue to the powers that be. When you don’t like how your mother-in-law is butting into your parenting, you bite your lip. And, then maybe have an explosive fight with your partner about it.
Listen, I feel you. For many of us, we have lived our entire lives believing that saying what we really mean is a recipe for disaster and should be avoided at all costs. But here’s the clincher: If you constantly do and say shit instead of saying what you really need/want/feel, you are sending yourself a huge, subconscious message that everyone else’s wants, needs, and opinions are more important than yours. Not to mention that you’re kinda being a liar.
In this episode, I look at six common tactics we employ instead of saying what we really mean, hoping that the other party will be able to read our signs and signals and magically be what we need. How’s that working out? That’s what I thought.
This pod explores:
- The most common self-talk we use to justify “sweeping it under the rug”
- How joking about shit you’re actually serious about is completely shooting yourself in the foot
- How to know if there is something you need to give voice to… even if you really don’t want to
- The ways in which you may be a big ‘ol liar and haven’t even realized it (It’s okay. We can fix it.)
NEW *FREE* WORKSHOP
clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
THE JOY JUNKIE AFTER HOURS CLUB!
clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to join the group! #yourewelcome
COMPLETELY FREE FACEBOOK GROUP. TONS OF SUPPORT YOU CRAVE. JOIN THE CLUB.
- Grab your seat at my new workshop!! FOR FREE!!
- Join the After Hours Club: Join the rest of the pod-iance in our secret pod peep group for weekly discussions, extra trainings, and tons of freebies
- Submit your burning Qs to me and Andrea at NotAnotherPod.com
How to Leave iTunes Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on iTunes” button below or go to http://tinyurl.com/JJReview
- Click on blue button that reads “view in iTunes” which will open the podcast into your personal iTunes account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!