14 Jun Being Better, Doing Better: Addressing Whiteness + Anti-Racism [TJJS:EP350]
addressing whiteness and anti-racism
After listening to the episode, submit any topics you’d like clarity on via the button below.
Disclaimer/Trigger Warning: This week’s show is a discussion directed towards white people and encourages a deeper understanding of white people’s role in social injustice and racism. BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) are absolutely more than welcome to listen and contribute, but I fully acknowledge and support that your mental and emotional health comes first.
It’s no secret that the current events of police brutality and social unrest have left many white individuals floundering and seeking answers on how to support BIPOC and not cause further damage or compound the problem. Perhaps you are one of them. Perhaps you have been afraid to speak up for fear of saying the wrong thing. Maybe you’ve been curious about what your role is or what your next move should be. Maybe you are so ready to look at your role in systemic racism, but you’ve been paralyzed with the inundation of information over social media as of late.
Listen, I feel you. It’s a lot to wrap your head around. And, and we have to keep looking at it. We have to keep being uncomfortable. In this episode, I do my best to share my learnings about social justice over the past few years, how we can start unpacking our role in the matter, and some great places you can start. Let’s do better.
This pod explores:
- How to avoid trying to “win at white”
- Understanding why the relationship between Black and White America is unlike any other relationship you are familiar with and your responsibility in the matter
- The relationship between perfectionism, the need for approval, and racism
- How to determine what your next action step is
NEW *FREE* WORKSHOP
clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to get on The List! #yourewelcome
READY TO GET RID OF PERFECTIONISM, SELF-DOUBT, AND OVERWHELM?
OF COURSE, YOU ARE!
THE JOY JUNKIE AFTER HOURS CLUB!
clickety-click RIGHT HUURRR or click that image to the right to join the group! #yourewelcome
COMPLETELY FREE FACEBOOK GROUP. TONS OF SUPPORT YOU CRAVE. JOIN THE CLUB.
- Grab your seat at my workshop!! FOR FREE!!
- Join the After Hours Club: Join the rest of the pod-iance in our secret pod peep group for weekly discussions, extra trainings, and tons of freebies
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- How to Be an Anti-Racist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Me and White Supremacy by Layla F. Saad
- A People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn
- How to deconstruct racism, one headline at a time – TED Talk by Baratunde Thurston
- Implicit Bias Test by Harvard
- Desiree Adaway’s website
- Anti-Racism Resources for White People
How to Leave Apple Podcasts Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on Apple Podcasts” button below or go to http://tinyurl.com/JJReview
- Click on blue button that reads “view in Apple Podcasts” which will open the podcast into your personal Apple Podcasts account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!