12 Jun Making Friends with Fear and Other Uncomfortable Emotions [TJJS:EP155]
Unless you happened to have a truly magical upbringing where you were encouraged to process uncomfortable emotions, it’s likely that you did what most of us did… You learned to simply shut off fear, anger, sadness, or disappointment. And, we all learned to deal with these scary-ass feelings through different means… maybe you learned to people-please instead of feeling guilt. Maybe you learned to hide out and internalize your sadness leading you to huge lash-outs and explosions in your relationships. Or maybe feeling those uncomfortable feelings led you numb out with Facebook, sex, booze, or throwing yourself into work.
If any of that sounds #supes familiar, then you are in great company, my friend. While we were able to learn reading, writing, and arithmetic in school, often we were NOT taught how to process fear, guilt, anger, or sadness in a healthy [and totally human] way. Leading us to fumble around as adults wondering what-the-hell our problem is.
In this episode, I share a three-step process to help you deal with your not-so-fuzzy emotions so that you don’t resort to addictions, explosive relationships, or lack of intimacy.
This pod explores:
- What-the-hell emotional resiliency is and why it’s imperative to accessing the “fun” feelings you crave (Ie. Joy, happiness, excitement, love, etc)
- How to catch yourself in an uncomfortable emotion before you turn to a behavior that isn’t healthy (Ie. Not keying someone’s car just because you’re pissed)
- Why the “only way out is through” and what that actually looks like
- How to do decide what to actually DO after you’ve processed some tough feelings
LOW-COST COACHING COURSE!
EXCUSE ME, YOUR BADASS IS SHOWING:
- How to stop taking responsibility for everyone else’s
happinessshit (as in, trying to make mom/boss/hubs happy… at all times. #exhausting)
- How to actually set and enforce boundaries in your life without being riddled by guilt (And you’ll learn what-the-hell a boundary even is.)
- How to speak up for yourself without being a total dick (It’s easier than you think!)
- How to change your relationship to fear so you aren’t always so god-damned afraid of going after things you want (Or speaking up to you-know-who.)
You in? Of course you are! Simply swing by this page or click the image above to find out more!
- Elizabeth Gilbert and her thoughts on fear – Discussed in her latest book, Big Magic and also on her podcast Magic Lessons
- Pod #154: 3 Ways to Deal with Fear Paralysis
How to Leave iTunes Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on iTunes” button below or go to http://tinyurl.com/JJReview
- Click on blue button that reads “view in iTunes” which will open the podcast into your personal iTunes account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!