06 Nov How to Deal with Your Parent’s Shitty Behavior [TJJS:EP176]
My parents suck
My parents suck
Perhaps some of the most challenging relationships we have in our lives are those with our own parents. Although we love them deeply, they are oftentimes the ones who pose the most “issues” in our worlds and who tend to drive us the most batty. You feel me? In this week’s podcast, I address a listener submission from a woman wanting to know what do if her father has caused tons of hurt to other beloved people in her life, but has always been awesome to her. Tricky, no? The same listener also wanted to know what to do with a mother who seriously bugs the shit out of her.
This sort of parental frustration is suuuuuper common and I’m sure you’re no stranger to a similar dynamic. In this episode, I offer 5 concepts to help you address a parent who is actually kind of an asshole and 5 different steps to broaching tough conversations with a parent who is driving you nuts! Unless you have a super flawless relationship with your parents (and if you do, bless you, and go thank them RIGHT NOW), then this pod is a MUST. Plus, many of these concepts can be applied to other relationships in your life which you find challenging.
This pod explores:
- How to love someone deeply AND establish boundaries
- How to figure out the role you want a less-than-stellar parent to have in your life
- How to approach a conversation with a parent you have issues with WITHOUT being an asshole
- How to figure out exactly what you need from them and how to ask for it
LAST DAY TO REGISTER!
SURVIVE + THRIVE: WORKSHOP + SUPPORT GROUP
Find yourself dreading your obligatory, family functions during the holiday? Soooo not looking forward to the barrage of unsolicited commentary from your family members about your life choices, stances, and opinions?
I’ve carefully curated this workshop + support group to help you get through the holiday season feeling empowered and strong as you fend off guilt trips and unwarranted attacks like a badass. Learn how to establish boundaries, speak up for yourself, gear up for challenging encounters, and figure out which battles to fight.
If you’re DONE dreading holiday functions with your family and ready to take a stand for yourself (without being an asshole), swing by this info page or click the image above to see if it’s just the holiday spirit and support you’ve been craving. Not only are you going to survive your family this holiday, you’re going to fucking THRIVE.
- “Ain’t nobody got time for that” clip from the adorable Youtube sensation, Sweet Brown. The original news clip has also been transformed into a hilarious remix version… You’re welcome.
- “For that reason I’m out” clip from the show, Shark Tank, featuring Mark Cuban
- The Californian’s Sketch clip from Saturday Night LIVE starring Bill Hader
How to Leave iTunes Reviews:
- Click the “Subscribe on iTunes” button below or go to http://tinyurl.com/JJReview
- Click on blue button that reads “view in iTunes” which will open the podcast into your personal iTunes account
- Click “Ratings & Reviews” under the show title
- Click the star rating of choice and then click the “Write a Review” button
- You can also click “Subscribe” under the podcast photo to be automatically notified of new episodes
Want to Submit a Show Topic?
Swing by THIS PAGE and let us hear what you would like us to sound off on!